With the gathering force of an essential thing realizing itself out of early ground, I faced in myself a passionate and tenacious longing—to put away thought forever, and all the trouble it brings, all but the nearest desire, direct and searching. To take the trail and not look back. Whether on foot, on showshoes or by sled, into the summer hills and their late freezing shadows—a high blaze, a runner track in the snow would show where I had gone. Let the rest of mankind find me if it could.
This is a collection of the influences and inspirations that have gone into this site. It’s not finished–I update it whenever another occurs to me.
Each of the links is well worth exploring.
Concepts, Ideologies, Philosophies
- The girl who lived in a windmill
- sarco2000, who cut, milled and built a cabin from lumber on his land in Montana
- Forerunner’s extreme composting
- “I gave up my 6-figure desk job to live in a cabin with no electricity and no running water. I live on about $2,000 a year doing odd jobs here and there, the rest of my time is devoted to my hobbies. I love my life. AMA”
- The many adventures of vagabond Tall Sam Jones
- Daniel Suelo, who lives without money entirely
- Johnny Appleseed